My first introduction to training and teaching occurred during the early years of my military career. It wasn't until much later that I even understood operant conditioning and how to manipulate people into acting and reacting in predictable ways for a very specific goal. Following the Dewey model of thinking for a purpose of solving or at least anticipating technical problems and using critical thinking allowed me to become a recognized expert in a number of technical disciplines. I particularly enjoyed that through effective story telling I was able to seemingly explain difficult concepts in an entertaining way that others good understand.
After the military I joined civilian industry and as a result was invited to apply for an instructors position at Stevenson Aviation, Teaching Gas Turbine Repair and Overhaul eventually led to my move to Notre Dame Campus to teach to the trades. I discovered that being a visual learner with ADHD allowed for a closer relationship with the trades apprentice. opportunity arose to attend Ferris State University and I received a BSc in Technical Education. This sojourn into official Academia with a cohort model did a lot to validate life long learning. Sometimes being under the tutelage of less than adequate instructor can teach you what a good trainer educator should be. It was there I learned the real meaning of pedagogy and for me the death of Operant conditioning. I continued and expanded into EADDI E apprenticeship Design and Delivery Initiative, Which really involved a cradle to grave experience in development. From this an opportunity to pursue a Masters in Adult ED and further to present to a national and international forums through MadLat and CNIE.
I believe that I live vicariously through the accomplishments of my students, that every student is a ten in something and that all who come to me deserve the very best I can possibly provide.
Of course I want my students to learn fundamentals of the discipline, but even more that learning is exciting and has value.
Teaching is exchanging an idea in such a clear way that a person can understand own it and improve and adapt it.
No comments:
Post a Comment